ConvertKit is a super-popular email marketing platform for professional bloggers. Whether or not you’re a professional blogger, it makes a lot of sense to use lead magnets to grow your subscriber list.
But once you get those subscribers, how do you get them into ConvertKit?
Turns out it’s really easy to do, thanks to Zapier.
The first thing you’ll want to do is to login to your ContentUpgrade.me account. Then click on Integrations at the top of the screen, and click “Connect Zapier”.
Here's how to create a Zap with ContentUpgrade:
- Click on that link above, or go to your ContentUpgrade.me account and click on “Zapier” under the Integrations menu. You’ll go directly to Zapier. Click “Create this Zap”.
- The next screen will ask you for your triggers. Right now we only have one trigger – that’s what happens when someone fills out your lead magnet form. Click on “New Entry” to select it, then click “Save + Continue”.
- Now you need to authorize your ContentUpgrade.me account. Click on “Connect New Account”. A new window will open up with ContentUpgrade.me.
- If you’re not logged in, click one of the login options. On the next screen, it will ask you if you want to authorize Zapier to use your account. Click “Authorize”.
- Good job! You’ve authorized Zapier to use your ContentUpgrade.me account. Now click “Test”, and watch the button turn green and change to “Success!” Now click “Save + Continue”.
- Now it’s time to tell Zapier which of your lead magnet forms to watch on ContentUpgrade.me. Every time someone submits one of these forms, Zapier will be notified, making all sorts of magic happen.Click on the little down arrow and select your lead magnet from the list.If you have multiple lead magnets that you’d like to watch, click the plus icon and then select the second one. Once you’re happy with the lead magnets you’ve selected, click “Continue”.
Now Zapier wants to test the connection. It’ll go out to your ContentUpgrade.me account and try to grab an existing entry. If you haven’t gotten any entries yet, go ahead and fill out your own lead magnet form with your own email address. That will give Zapier something to fetch. When you’re ready, click “Fetch & Continue”. There! Your test was successful! Click “Continue”.
Great job, you've added your trigger! Now we need to let Zapier know what to do whenever the trigger happens. Click the link to add an action.
Under "Choose an Action App", start typing "ConvertKit", and then click on it when it appears in the list.
Now Zapier wants to know what to do when you get a new subscriber. You could choose any of the available actions, but in this example I'm going to choose "Add Subscriber to a Sequence". This usually makes the most sense because the subscriber just requested a lead magnet from you, and you probably want to put them into your marketing funnel. Select your action, then click "Save + Continue".
If you haven't already connected your ConvertKit account you'll need to do that now, so click "Connect an Account".
A window will pop up asking for your API keys. Click the link that's labeled "Account page" to go to your ConvertKit account.
On your ConvertKit account page, click and copy the API key and API secret into the Zapier popup window. Then click the red "Yes, Continue" button.
Back in Zapier again, you should see a green "Success" button. This means ConvertKit has successfully been connected to your Zapier account. Click "Save + Continue".
Now the exciting part is mapping data from ContentUpgrade into ConvertKit: Click on the drop-down menu under Sequence, and choose the sequence you'd like to put new subscribers into. Click the icon next to the Email field, and choose "Email" under the ContentUpgrade step. Since we don't collect the first name field, leave that blank. Finally, Click Continue.
Zapier is a stickler for testing, so they'll want to test this step. This screen will show you what data will be passed into ConvertKit. If it looks good, click "Create & Continue".
Unless you have terrible karma, the test will succeed, and you'll see "Test Successful" in a green box. (If it fails email us and we'll try to help you figure out what's wrong.)
The final step is to turn on your Zap and start listening for new subscribers. Click on the switch to turn it on, and you should see a screen that looks like this:
That's it, you're done! At this point you might want to go and actually test your form in the wild - enter an email address into your ContentUpgrade.me form, and then go back to ConvertKit and make sure that it's subscribed successfully. You're now integrated with ConvertKit, and all your ContentUpgrade.me subscribers will flow into ConvertKit!